Pages

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Linen Closet Declutterfication

Declutterfication. haha A new word I just made up....

Anyways...

  If you saw my title page for Project Life, I mentioned that my One Little Word for this year is REDUCE. I've decided that I'm going to use that in many different ways. Reduce clutter, reduce weight, reduce stress, reduce debt. I could go on and on.

 So I've been trying to get in the mood to declutter our place. The best way for me to do that is to start small. Find little places that I can quickly get done within an hour.

About 3 weeks ago I tackled my closet and I even took before and after pictures like a good blogger should do. :) BUT I took them with my cell phone and I have no idea how to get those photos onto my computer. LOL (So if anyone could help with that, just leave me a comment down below please :) )

This week I decided to go through our linen closet:

Here's the before:


I'm sure it has been worse, but I was tired of not being able to find anything!

Here's the after:


So much better, right?

So here's some tips that helped me:

1. Drag everything out that you possible can. It's going to look worse before it gets better.

2. I started with the actual linens first. Get all the sheets together and store kids sheets in a container so they're easy to find quickly. (Think middle of the night chaos.) The container I used for the crib sheets, I got at Dollar Tree. The wicker one I bought a Wal-mart MANY years ago. I have ALWAYS stored my sheets inside their own pillow case. I think my Grandma showed me that, I can't remember.

3. Sort through your towels. If there's any you don't want anymore (that are in good condition) donate to a women's shelter. If there are any that are not in great shape, donate to an animal's shelter. Fold the rest and line them up.  (I keep washcloths and hand towels in the bathroom)

4. I put our summer blanket and our son's summer quilt in one of those clear zipped up bags. I had some extra pillowcases that I put in the bag that our shower curtain came in.

5. I used one container to store extra bottled goods. Extra shampoo, hairspray etc. then a smaller one (blue box from Dollar Tree) for extra razors, deodorant, toothpaste etc. I also keep a huge zip-lock bag for trial sized things.(I used it when I had my youngest at the hospital.)


So that's what I've been up to! Have you been getting the new year itch?



4 comments:

  1. Love the "stuffing the sheets into their own pillowcase" idea! Thanks for the new tip! That alone will make my bakers rack look so much neater! Great job on the closet Julie!
    As for the phone pics to the computer, I usually just email them to myself...but that kinda decreases the quality :-/ best of luck finding out how! :) Hope you are having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! My mom informed me that SHE was the one who taught me that trick not my Grandma. :)
      I tried that with my pictures and I agree it does kind of decrease the quality. Ben has been getting on me about syncing up my phone to my computer. He said that would make it easier. My computer is so old though, I don't trust it to save all my pictures. :/ Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Julie, Up load them to drop box. Or just do what I do, Give the phone to your husband and have him do it :)
    Closet looks great! Want to come do some for me?
    <3 Jessy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would totally come do your closets! Isn't weird how I don't mind cleaning other's houses but hate to do mine? Maybe it's just me! :)

      Delete